Documentary review

Kimberly Geraldino February 26, 2020

English 21001

Ms.Weyn 

Controversies on Rihanna own documentary “No Regrets”

Perhaps what we know about the word “famous” it’s not exactly what we think it is, what if what we know about celebrities is what we want and not what it is ? or what if celebrities aren’t just regular humans with feeling but instead some type of machine here to entertain us and only us?. Well, I’ll be honest with you while watching this documentary a series of questions came about “what? If? When ? why ?” and began to wonder if these are all we get. Through this one hour and one minute video, I learn way more than expected. I sat and saw the video expecting a whole different experience from what I got. ‘No Regret’ it’s all about what we know as one of the most powerful celebrities, Rihanna, and focuses on explaining her life from the beginning of her career to what has become her rick, the famous pop star now.

Before viewing these I already knew a lot about Rihanna as she is one of the biggest pop stars and continues to very well know not only musically but in the beauty industry as well with her makeup line and lingerie line that has created a lot of women empowerment over social media. I expected to be introduced to some fact I had never heard before or some type of information that was new to the industry that hasn’t ever been explained before, for example “Why she wanted to become a pop star” or maybe “what it means for her to become such a powerful influencer” what I got none of my questions answer.

This documentary talked about Rihanna for what we already know, it didn’t show a new side of her or an unexpected piece of information not heard before. A lot of this documentary was surrounding rihanna as a celebrity and not as her herself without fame and it also included lots of it information from Rihanna fan points of view which for me was very unexpected for a documentary.The documentary focuses a lot on big controversies surrounding rihanna, for example, her past relationship with singer Chris Brown and her abusive relationship as well as her humble start from Barbados to international pop star. The way this documentary was filmed in my opinion was amazing. It had a great sound effect and all images were great and included great transitioning. However, I do feel like the way it was filmed was great but it contains very basic information. Because the film focuses on Rihanna’s fan opinion, it never really gives a piece of information that is in any way surprising to anyone with a phone.

I personally would watch it again, not because it was terrible and unwatchable but because a lot of the information given was in fact not true for example they mentioned that “there are not many huge pop stars from the caribbean” what about Bob marley, Leonard Charles, sean paul and more. In the documentary they also included a none rihanna fan that for many can come across as a hater for me he was a new point of view however to be a documentary that’s trying to showcase the struggle of a Caribbean singer to the top it was definitely a curse ball and while it made it a little more interesting it also made the main idea of the documentary fade away. I personally think this is a very good film for someone who doesn’t know very little or nothing about Rihanna otherwise I think reading new article will give you a lot to make your own opinion on the famous pop star instead of hearing fan personal opinion and a lot of great music videos.